Based on a first-principles electrochemical model, CellMod is packaged as an FMU (Functional Markup Unit), allowing it to be easily integrated into most major simulation packages, such as Altair Activate, via the open industry standard FMI (Functional Mockup Interface). CellMod™ FMU accepts as inputs Current, Ambient Temperature, and Time-step and will output Voltage, Cell Internal Temperature, SOC and any other cell internal state variable.
Unlike simple equivalent circuit (EC) models often used today, CellMod FMU takes into account physical processes taking place inside the cells, such as diffusion in solids, diffusion in electrolytic solution, reaction kinetics, charge transport, heat transport, etc. Because of this, CellMod™ can predict battery cell behavior with a high degree of accuracy.
The default battery model for CellMod™ is the Panasonic NCR18650A. This version may be used as a stand-in representing a “generic” Li-Ion battery and still, provide better accuracy than what can be offered by a simple equivalent circuit model. For design teams requiring a high level of accuracy (~97%, or accuracy to the level of statistical variation) cell-specific versions to represent any type of Li-Ion cells, from NMC and LMO to LFP and NCA, and all iterations of these cells can be quickly developed.
BasicPackMod FMU utilizes the same advanced model as CellMod FMU and allows users to specify the number of cells in series and in parallel. Thermal inputs and outputs are not provided. BasicPackMod FMU is available through the Altair Partner Alliance by downloading HERE.
Sendyne is a leading developer of sensing and simulation technologies for Electric Vehicles and Charging Stations. Sensing products include the SIM100 advanced ground fault detection/insulation monitor and the SFP200 for precise current and voltage measurement. Both are available as either modules or ICs. Simulation products include CellMod, the first physics-based virtual battery that can be easily integrated into most simulation packages for co-simulation and HIL.
CellMod FMU and BasicPackMod is available through the Altair Partner Alliance.
“Sendyne is excited to join the Altair Partner Alliance and believes that CellMod™ will help Altair's automotive, aerospace and e-mobility customers build faster, better, and more cost-effective battery-powered systems.”
Key Features & Benefits
Ability to quickly integrate an accurate virtual battery into any design.
- Using CellMod’s companion FMU, BasicPackMod, pack sizing can be easily effected.
Energy & Power Control Function Development
- Sendyne CellMod FMU will interface through FMI to any FMI enabled simulation platform to provide the essential inputs for evaluating performance and developing power and thermal management functions.
Hardware and Software in the Loop
- Sendyne CellMod FMU Virtual Battery can provide more realistic battery inputs to software and hardware in the loop applications.
Pack Thermal Simulation
- Sendyne CellMod FMU Virtual Battery will interface with CFD software for pack thermal design. In addition, it will provide a real-time pack power, energy and thermal simulation for cooling control development.
Cell Selection and Accelerated Testing
- The accuracy of CellMod FMU enables accelerated cell testing and selection by comparing FMUs optimized for individual cells in various load and environmental conditions.
Online Battery Prediction
- The speed, small code size and the memory management features of CellMod FMU enable its utilization in embedded applications.
CellMod™ FMU and BasicPackMod can be used in many applications and industries including automotive and ground transportation, heavy industry, aerospace, and e-mobility or any application that uses a battery. CellMod™ FMU capabilities cover a wide range of applications within these industries, including electric vehicles, bus, airplane, bike, etc. that allow for designers to perform pack sizing, cell selection, HIL, SIL and battery system management development. A typical designer can virtually test as if the actual cells were being tested. This not only saves significant time and money but as CellMod™ is highly accurate, improves system performance; all of this can be performed in Altair Activate.
Altair Activate model-based development enables product creators, system simulation and control engineers to model, simulate and optimize hybrid systems.